What Happens if I Am Hurt in a Collision with an Uninsured Motorist in Texas?

Charles J. Argento, our Houston personal injury lawyer, knows driving without the required auto liability insurance is against the law in Texas. Texas law requires all motorists to have the minimum insurance coverage of $30,000 for injuries per person, up to $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage.

Despite the legal requirement, the Insurance Information Institute reports that 8.3% of Texas drivers are operating their vehicles without insurance coverage. If you are injured in a crash caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver in Texas, you may be able to pursue your vehicle insurance coverage for your damages.

Here is what Texas injury victims need to know, and how our Houston car accident attorney can help.

Are Texas Drivers Required to Carry Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

Uninsured Motorist

In Texas, insurance agents must offer drivers both uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. If they do not want it, they must submit a written denial. It offers extra financial protection after an accident involving a driver with little or no insurance.

  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage protects you and your property after an accident in which the at-fault driver does nothave car insurance.
  • Underinsured Motorist Coverage protects you and your property when the at-fault driver has insurance but not enough to cover all the damage.

UM/UIM coverage extends to the policyholder, family members, passengers in the vehicle, and anyone driving your car with your consent. There is no other type of auto coverage that protects drivers from uninsured or underinsured drivers.

How Can I Pursue My UM/UIM Coverage for My Texas Crash Damages?

If you carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can pursue your insurance provider for the total damages up to your policy limit if an uninsured driver has injured you. If the driver liable for your injuries only carries the minimum amount of insurance coverage, and your injuries and other damages far exceed their policy limit, you can pursue your UIM coverage for the balance of your compensation needs.

It is crucial to understand that your insurance provider will not simply write a blank check for your recovery needs. The insurance representative will require you to prove your case, just as they would if they were representing a third party.

This is why speaking with a Houston car accident attorney immediately after your crash is essential. We can help you preserve evidence, fully outline your compensation needs, and communicate directly with the insurance company on your behalf so you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery while we handle your financial interests.

Contact Our Houston Car Accident Attorney Today

At Charles J. Argento & Associates, our experienced auto accident and injury attorney in Houston, we will work to build a strong case on your behalf and maximize the compensation you may be entitled to for your injuries and losses. Schedule a free consultation by calling  713-225-5050 or contacting us online so that together, we can pursue justice by holding the negligent driver liable for your full financial recovery. 

Related Links:


contact us

Request A Free Consultation