At Charles J. Argento, our Houston car accident attorney knows witness statements are incredibly valuable.
This is true for those who make them, as they are helping piece together crash facts for law enforcement officials to determine liability. And for personal injury victims that may rely on witness statements to help build their cases for success.
No matter which side of the witness statement you are on, here is what you need to know about their importance after a Texas vehicle collision occurs.
The Importance of Giving a Witness Statement After a Car Crash in Texas
If you witness a vehicle collision occur anywhere in Texas, staying behind to give a statement can change the trajectory of the investigation.
A car accident witness statement includes a concise description of the events leading up to the crash. They can be used by police officers who reported to the scene of the crash, and by the courts if there is a dispute over liability.
When someone provides a witness statement in Texas, he or she must ensure all the information provided is true and accurate.
- Your name and contact information.
- The time and date of the crash.
- Whether you know any of the drivers involved in the crash.
- Description of the events leading up to the accident, including where you were when the accident occurred.
- A detailed account of each driver’s movements that led to the crash, including whether one was speeding, ran a red light or was texting when the crash occurred.
- Whether there were any other people or vehicles involved in the accident.
Follow all law enforcement instructions when providing a witness statement, so you can answer all questions as accurately as possible. These details will be used in the official traffic crash report.
Why Are Texas Car Accident Witness Statements Important in Personal Injury Cases?
At Charles J. Argento, our Houston personal injury lawyer relies on facts to help build our cases for success.
An accurate Texas traffic accident report can help build the framework for each case.
That is why it is so important to contact the police after a crash, so we have authenticated and reliable information about the crash from the start.
In most cases, the traffic crash report and witness statements provided therein will provide the details regarding which driver was at fault for the crash.
When it comes to proving personal injuries resulted in damages, liability is the crux of our cases.
Our dedicated car accident attorney in Houston will examine each aspect of your case, including a first-hand investigation of the accident scene, police report, witness statements, medical records, and all other pertinent details to pursue the best outcome for each of our clients.
The Next Steps after a Car Accident
According to NHTSA statistics, Houston has the most traffic fatalities in Texas. Being one of the biggest traffic centers in the nation, Texas accounts for nearly 4 million people and an additional 1.6 million people from the neighboring counties. The Texas Department of Transportation reports that every two minutes, someone sustains an injury as a result of a car accident.
Unfortunately, most of these auto accidents are as a result of negligence, being under the influence of drugs and alcohol, improper driver training, poor vision, and even fatigue.
If you have been involved in a car accident in Texas, you need to know what action you should take to make a claim for injuries or seek compensation for vehicle damage. We at the law firm of Charles J. Argento & Associates want to help you with your next steps, from how to make a claim for compensation to navigating the legal landscape with a personal injury lawsuit.
Texas Car Insurance Rules
Whether you are making a claim under your own policy or with the at-fault driver’s carrier, car insurance always comes into play after an accident. Here is a brief breakdown of Texas car insurance rules:
- Texas is a “fault” car insurance state. This means you are allowed to file a liability insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the other driver after a car accident.
- In Texas, the minimum car insurance coverage requirements for drivers: $30,000 for bodily injury per person, $60,000 for bodily injury per accident if two or more people are injured, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.
- Although it is advisable, Texas does not require drivers to carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
Damages Suffered as a Result of a Car Accident
Car accidents can significantly change someone’s life. As a victim of a car accident, you may be unable to walk due to paralysis, you may suffer from brain injuries or fatal internal injuries. Your non-fatal injuries may leave you unable to work as you did in the past.
Filling a Houston Car Accident Lawsuit
Before pursuing any car accident injury case, it is vital to seek medical treatment and to engage the services of a qualified personal injury lawyer. Never speak to an insurance company before consulting your lawyer, as insurance companies can use any information they gather against you in court.
At Charles J. Argento we know that filing your case as quickly as possible gives us the best opportunity to find good evidence and witnesses.
The Houston, Texas statute of limitations is two years for car accident victims. This means that if you wait until after 2 years to file a lawsuit, you may be prevented from suing.
Having dealt with car accident cases for over 35 years, our firm has a solid reputation in the legal community and insurance companies know that we mean business every time act on our clients’ behalf.
After filing your lawsuit with the Texas State Court or federal court, the defendants are given time to respond to your complaint.
Your complaint states the facts relating to your car accident, your injuries, and the claims you are making. It also includes the amount of money you are seeking compensation. Car accident cases can be either be settled in court or through or through a settlement out of court.
Charles J. Argento & Associates is Here to Help and Negotiate
Filing a claim with the courts and negotiating with car insurance companies can become overwhelming when you are still recovering from an accident. At the law firm of Charles J. Argento & Associates, we have experienced Houston car accident attorneys who know how to handle settlement negotiations, how to anticipate and avoid obstacles, and how to best protect your rights at every stage in the case.
Contact Our Skilled Car Accident Lawyer in Houston, Texas for Help
If you were injured in a vehicle collision because of another driver’s negligence in Texas, contact our experienced personal injury attorney in Houston at Charles J. Argento today to schedule a free consultation by calling 713-225-5050 or by contacting us online.
Our law firm does not get paid until we obtain a settlement or verdict for you and will keep you updated during each stage of your case, so you know what to expect as the case moves forward.
- Car Driver Injured after Houston Truck Accident
- Drunk Driver Car Accident Kills Family OF Four
- Bill Banning Texting While Driving May Prevent Car Accidents
- Passenger Position Can Make Car Accident Injuries Worse
- What Happens if I Am Hurt in a Collision with an Uninsured Motorist in Texas?
- The Difficulties of Getting Compensation after a Truck Accident
- Use Driving Tips to Safely Share the Road with Trucks
- Oversized Truck Sends One Man to Hospital
- Dangers of Truck Accidents on I-10 in Houston
- Hours of Service Law and Truck Accidents in Texas
- Five-Truck Crash in Georgia Leads to Death and Injury
- Got Milk? Higher Milk Hauling Limits Could Increase the Number of Dangerous Trucks on Texas Roads