What to Know after an Injury-Causing Accident
Each year, thousands of Texans experience injury-causing accidents, like auto collisions, pedestrian accidents, and premises liability incidents. In the year 2016 alone, more than 265,000 people sustained injuries in auto collisions – one of the most common causes of personal injury.
Types of Personal Injury
In the wake of a personal injury accident, it can sometimes be difficult to move forward. Some victims deal with significant physical hurdles due to their injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Spinal injuries
- Head injuries
- Lost limbs
- Temporary or permanent paralysis
It is also possible to suffer significant mental challenges as a result of personal injury trauma. For examples, victims may experience:
- Post-traumatic stress
Due to the severe consequences that typically accompany personal injury cases, it is important to have a clear understanding of what to do in the event of an injury-causing accident, and what your legal options might be.
Seeking Medical Attention for Personal Injury
If you have been involved in an accident and believe that you may have suffered injury, it is critical that you seek the guidance of a qualified medical professional. Only a doctor can assess your physical and mental wellness to determine the extent of any personal injury.
Once a condition has been diagnosed, a doctor can recommend a course for rehabilitation and recovery. However, recovery can sometimes be the most difficult process, especially when victims face high medical costs or disability, whether temporary or permanent.
Depending on the situation, and the extent of your injuries, you may be eligible to file a legal claim to recover compensation and other damages related to your accident. That’s where a qualified personal injury attorney can help.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim
While you are receiving treatment for your injuries, a personal injury attorney can work to gather the facts surrounding your case. This includes speaking with witnesses, examining the police report and information on the other driver(s) involved, and compiling photographs and medical records detailing your treatment.
Once all records – both medical and financial – have been obtained, an attorney and your doctor can work to finalize a complete evaluation of your injuries, along with any accompanying damages, to recommend a settlement from insurance companies.
After a demand is submitted, it can provide a starting point for any negotiations, whether they are between the victim and the insurance company, or multiple parties involved in the accident. However, the process can prove lengthy, especially in cases involving disputes with insurance companies.
Because insurance adjusters only have a certain degree of authority to settle personal injury claims, they often have to defer to supervisors with greater authority. This can take several months to finalize, leaving personal injury victims in limbo.
It’s also important to remember that when it comes to insurance companies, they will always look to settle as quickly and inexpensively as possible. After all, insurance companies are in the business to make money, so they will seek any necessary channels to spend as little money as possible.
Restrictions on Personal Injury Cases in Texas
Depending on the state you reside in, there may be different statutory limits on how much time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit. In the state of Texas, the statute of limitations allows personal injury victims a two-year window from the date of injury to submit a lawsuit in the civil court system.
If you fail to file the lawsuit before the two-year period ends, the state’s civil court will likely refuse to hear the case at any point in the future, which means your right to compensation might be lost.
Certain states also place limits on the kinds of damages that a victim can receive after successfully pursuing a personal injury lawsuit. Texas is one such state – in Texas, there are statutory limitations on compensation related to medical malpractice cases only.
Deciding to Settle Your Case or Go to Trial
Ultimately, it is the victim’s decision whether or not to reject or accept a settlement offer. You can either accept the money or reject the offer and press forward with litigation. Before making this type of a decision, it’s important to consider a few things:
- Is litigation worth your time? Personal injury litigation can quickly escalate to a lengthy process
- Are you comfortable with taking risks? There are no guarantees in personal injury litigation, and a jury might grant a lesser award or no money at all. The added cost of litigation can also reduce compensation or damages received
If you elect to push forward with litigation, it is critical that you have a qualified personal injury attorney by your side. Litigation is not only a time-consuming process – it can also grow incredibly complex. Working with an attorney specializing in this legal arena can increase your chances of a successful outcome where you receive the compensation and damages you deserve.
Trusted Experience in Personal Injury Claims
It is no secret that the legal process can be daunting. Dealing with opposing attorneys, insurance company agents, and even corporate representatives can be intimidating. For this reason, it is imperative that those who suffer from a personal injury — no matter how the accident occurred — contact an accomplished Texas attorney right away.
Time is of the essence in pursuing a settlement and our attorney has nearly 30 years of experience in representing individuals and battling corporate attorneys and insurance companies to retrieve the benefits our clients deserve as a result of their injuries. We will leave no stone unturned in researching your case, interviewing witnesses, and delivering results.
What Sets Our Houston Personal Injury Law Firm Apart
At Charles J. Argento, our personal attention and track record is what sets us apart from other accident attorneys. The legal process is precise and unforgiving and only an exceptional, veteran attorney can help you and your family recover a settlement quickly and effectively. We will walk you through the tedious legal process and gather the necessary elements to craft the most competitive strategy with the following quality standards:
- Unmatched Claim Assessment Experience: Our litigation team is straightforward and will explain your case and the chance of success inside or outside the courtroom clearly so you can focus on the important task of moving forward with your life.
- No Upfront Fees; We Recover Only if You Recover: Our legal team works with your best interest in mind, which means that if we do not succeed to the point of a financial recovery, you will pay no attorney fees. Other fees may be involved, including court fees or medical expertise assessments, but those charges will be outlined fully for your review.
- Our Experience Transcends Bureaucracy: With nearly three decades of experience, our lawyer will slash through the red tape and paperwork to get results quickly and effectively.
- Investigative Approach to Success: At Charles J. Argento, we team up with experienced investigators who will skillfully uncover the facts of your case to hold the responsible party accountable for your pain and suffering.
- Objectivity: We act as a third-party legal representative with foresight and a commitment to the big picture. Although you may be tempted to take a lowball payout to resolve your claim quickly, our team will fight for the full recovery you are entitled to.
- Alternative Resolution Opportunities: Our experience gives an edge in determining the proper course of legal action to generate the best settlement possible. This could include mediation, which can save time, money, and energy.
- Veteran Experience: Our law firm has been around for decades, which means we have worked with hundreds of attorneys in and around Houston and throughout the great state of Texas. Our experience and reputation offer the insight necessary to effectively communicate with the opposing counsel.
- Understands Insurance Companies: We know every tactic the insurance company might use to avoid liability and foresee their actions before they can offer an unsatisfactory settlement.
- Settlements: Your injuries represent your settlement needs and our attorney will not reach a final agreement until your individual needs are fully met physically, emotionally, and financially.
- Jury Verdicts: We work tirelessly to achieve the best possible settlement for each of our clients. Should your case go to trial, we will argue your position in front of a jury with a tenacious approach to achieve monetary compensation.
Contact Our Personal Injury Attorneys in Houston, Texas
If you or someone you know has recently been injured in an accident that came about as a result of someone’s negligence, the law office of Charles J. Argento can help (713) 225-5050. Our Houston personal injury lawyers has a great deal of experience in handling these types of legal matters and is committed to serving as your legal advocate every step of the way.