Motor vehicle accidents can be one of the most frightening and traumatic experiences that an individual will go through in his or her life. Unfortunately, this is also the reason why many of those involved in one neglect to take the proper steps necessary to ensure that they will receive the highest settlement from their insurance company.
According to the Department of Transportation, the chances of you being involved in a car accident in Texas are higher than most other states, making it increasingly important that every Houston driver proactively protect himself or herself by taking the following 4 steps to get the most out of his or her personal injury claim:
1. Call the Police. No matter how major or minor the car accident, call the police and obtain a copy of the police report. The police report is an invaluable third party account of the accident that will include several details which will help back up and support your claim, including information about who was at fault.
2. Document it yourself. Once physically and emotionally able, write down your own notes about the auto accident. Some key points to include are:
- Where you were traveling and in what direction (i.e. Westbound on I-10 at T C Jester Boulevard)
- Detailed notes about how the accident occurred
- Weather conditions
- Accident-related expenses, such as car repair, medical bills, and lost wages (and retain any receipts)
- Also, be sure to take photographs of any damage to your vehicle and of your injuries.
3. Send a Letter of Notification. A general letter of notification should be written to the other party’s insurance company to alert them of the claim. While it does not need to be a detailed account of the actual accident, the letter should include:
- Your first and last name
- The date of the letter
- The date and location of the car accident
- Information stating you were injured
- If you carry personal injury protection, send the same letter to your own insurance company.
4. Contact a Personal Injury Attorney. Far too many innocent victims place full trust in their insurance company, assuming that it is working on their behalf to deliver the compensation needed and deserved. Sadly, this often is not the case.
Auto insurance companies make millions of dollars every year by taking advantage of injured individuals by under-compensating them. By hiring experienced personal injury attorney Charles J. Argento prior to filing your accident claim, you are guaranteeing yourself a fair and possible full settlement from the insurance company.