A police officer with the Bellaire Police Department in Houston lost his life earlier this month, when he lost control of his motorcycle during a criminal pursuit.
According to the chief of police for the Bellaire Police Department, the officer, who was a seven-year veteran of the department, had initially pulled over a car matching the make and model of a getaway vehicle used in a local robbery.
At some point during the incident, the vehicle fled the scene. Authorities indicated that the officer had begun a pursuit of suspects through southwest Houston, when his police motorcycle struck a parked landscaping trailer. Though the officer was rushed to nearby Memorial Hermann Hospital in the Texas Medical Center, his injuries were too severe to overcome.
For those in the Houston area dealing with motorcycle accident injury, it is always wise to consult with a personal injury attorney, who can evaluate your case and determine whether or not there is cause for a personal injury claim.
Unlike other types of motor vehicles, motorcycles are much more compact, and leave the operator far more vulnerable to the elements and potential dangers. That means that, in the event of an accident, the damage is likely to be far more severe.
And the evidence is in the statistics. According to the U.S. federal government, motorcycle accident fatalities exceed other automobile related fatalities by roughly 35 times.
Considering some of the risks unique to motorcyclists, it does not come as much of a surprise. Motorcycle operators are considered more vulnerable for a number of reasons, including:
- Reduced visibility to other vehicles – Motorcycles are smaller and more compact, and are therefore more easily hidden to other vehicles on the road
- Road hazards – From debris to uneven road surfaces, any number of hazards on the roadway can cause a motorcycle crash
- The rider is more exposed – Motorcycles do not feature the protection of most other automobiles, including doors, airbags or seatbelts. Those who don’t wear helmets are also at an elevated risk for severe head trauma
- Reduced stability – Two-wheeled vehicles are not as stable as those with four wheels, and are far less stable when emergency braking or swerving
- Inadequate skill level – Many motorcycle accidents are due to the fact that the rider did not possess the appropriate license for operation
Most motorcycle accidents come down to determining negligence, which refers to the reckless or thoughtless behavior of an individual or entity.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Houston
Have you or someone you love experienced personal injury in a motorcycle accident? If so, you may be eligible to file a personal injury claim, which can help with the recovery of damages or other compensation, which can address the many challenges that come with personal injury.
In Houston and the surrounding communities in Texas, the dedicated attorneys at the Argento Law Firm assist those dealing with personal injury matters, including clients who have been involved in motorcycle accidents. Our firm understands that dealing with significant personal injury is never easy, and are committed to providing the support you need on the road to recovery.
From assisting in the investigation of your case, to helping you find the medical care you need, our attorneys have the skills and experience you need to secure the best settlement possible.
To schedule a free preliminary consultation to evaluate your case, contact the skilled attorneys at the Argento Law Firm at (713) 225-5050 today. Attorneys in our firm are fluent in both English and Spanish.